Thursday, May 24, 2012

Feeding Friendship: Quinoa-Stuffed Poblanos


I photographed three different recipes with peppers before deciding to share this one.  This round was easy for me because I cook a lot of peppers with serranos and chipotles my favorite on the spicy side and red bell pepper popping up in many dishes both cooked and raw.  I've tried several recipes for stuffed (green bell) peppers in the past with modest success.  While the filling is usually decent, I didn't really get the point of putting it in an unwieldy pepper that was difficult to cut and invariably separated from the filling.  I have a specific memory of trying to cut into a still crunch pepper with a dull table knife and flipping the whole thing onto the table.


When I first saw this recipe from Foodie Bride, I knew it would be superior to it's run-of-the-mill breatheren.  First, it used a flavorful poblano which lent flavor to the filling; plus the poblano is roasted and the skin removed so it is easy to cut into and eat along with the filling. As a bonus, it's vegetarian, which is how we eat most nights, but has good protein from the quinoa.  I'm so glad I took a chance on the stuffed peppers because it was fantastic!  I followed the recipe as written except that I substituted feta for the queso fresco because I find it more flavorful and I used the last of my salsa ranchero instead of the grilled Romesco (which I'm sure would be delicious, but I'm lazy and the salsa ranchero was there).  The mild flavor of the roasted poblanos gave just a bit of a kick and I'm thinking I might like to try them with some other fillings.  Does anybody have a favorite stuffed pepper filling?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis