Monday, July 9, 2012

Christmas in July: Gifts for Her


Wow.  Week Two of my series (Week One is Here) and I"m already running behind.  Don't be like me, get your Christmas crafting done early!  Today I have two quick projects, perfect for the women in your life.  I loved both of them so much that I made extras for myself as well!  The first is this bird's nest necklace that I made following these instructions from Sarah Ortega (who also sells them in Etsy shop if you don't want to make your own).  The trickiest part of making these is finding the right beads.  I had my heart set on robin's egg blue, and I think these come pretty close, but I'd love to find some beads that look like natural eggs.  Once you have the beads, wire, and chain, it's just a matter of bending the wire until it looks right to you.  I made two necklaces and a pin in under an hour last Christmas and I get compliments on my necklace all the time.


The second gift this week was driven by my own needs.  I'm pretty good about taking reusable bags with me to the grocery store but I frequently find myself out running errands without them.  This tote from Sew, Mama, Sew measures about 12"x12" but zips up into a handy package about 3 1/2" square and about 1 inch thick.  It's plenty small to stay in my purse until I need it.  The cashiers at the sewing store are always particularly impressed.  I used quilting cotton which is great option since it comes in any possible pattern and you can customize it for each recipient - favorite sports team, cartoon characters, anything.  I couldn't find it in my local stores, but if you are looking for an even thinner and lighter-weight version, you could try and find rip-stop nylon.  Who says practical gifts have to be ugly? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis