Monday, July 6, 2009

Let's Not Go to the Mall

I spent the long weekend in Washington, D.C. with some of oldest friends and favorite people. Sarah and her fiance graciously hosted Veronica and her fiance as well as Geoff and I in Alexandria. Geoff drove all the way down to DC on Friday so that I could work on my lecture for today and not have to worry the rest of the weekend. We had a great dinner with the whole group plus Veronica's mom (who, like V, I have known for more than 20 years) so it was a great chance to catch up and for all the men-folk to get to know each other.

On Saturday, the men watched Ninja Warrior (okay, we all watched Ninja Warrior a fantastic show imported from Japan that consists of ridiculous feats of strength and coordination) and the women headed out to take care of some wedding stuff. V showed us the dresses she wanted for her wedding and they looked great on Sarah and I both which was a feat unto itself!

Around 4 we loaded up on junk food and drinks to head down to the river to watch the fireworks. There is no way I could handle the overwhelming crowds on the Mall - Times Square on New Year's Eve is my worst nightmare. Unfortunately, the marina where we wanted to park wouldn't let us bring in a cooler and we didn't want to sit for six hours outside without anything to eat or drink. So we ended up on the breezy, uncrowded rooftop deck playing Scatagories and eating goldfish crackers. We had a nice view of the fireworks and didn't have to fight the crowds back home. All in all a fantastic weekend and I'm not particularly looking forward to the rest of the week back at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis