Friday, November 5, 2010

Tastes of Fall

I really love fall.  And since we will be heading for warmer climates come January, I'm particularly relishing it this year.  The weather has been surprisingly cooperative (considering last October saw a substantial snow before it was half over).  The air has been crisp and cool, but warm in the sun. 

We've had friends over for a bonfire to roast marshmallows in the cold, but not yet bitter, night air.


And I've been cooking lots of fall inspired meals.  Knowing that the winter here will be long and trying to eat seasonally and locally, I hung on to the tomatoes and corn of summer for as long as I could.  The apples and pears were the first to sneak into my market bag, but eventually the squash and pumpkins appeared on the menu.
Here are a few of my favorite recipes of late:

Triple-Apple Muffins

Pumpkin Bread

Pumpkin Pancakes

Yes I cut my pancakes into one large square before eating it in smaller squares.  No I don't think that is weird.

Lentil Soup with Roasted Butternut Squash and an Egg on Top

Apple Cheddar Scones

Squash, Lentil and Goat Cheese Salad

White Chili



Up next, homemade apple butter on homemade bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis