Thursday, December 8, 2011

Feeding Friendship: Sweet Potato


Sweet potatoes hold a very special place in my heart.  The first meal I ever cooked for Geoff was pork chops and sweet and spicy glazed sweet potatoes.  My mom, grandma and I made a comically large mess (I ended up with sweet potato and coconut webbing between my fingers) trying to craft Paula Dean's marshmallow-stuffed sweet potato balls.  And my contribution to the last several thanksgivings has been mashed sweet potatoes with orange and chipotle.  My latest favorite is sweet potato falafel from 101cookbooks.

I've made these a couple of times, and they are delicious!  You need to plan a bit ahead to allow enough time to bake the sweet potatoes until they are very soft.  You want the sweet potatoes to be completely smooth before you incorporate the other ingredients.  I have made this with both regular flour and chickpea flour and I prefer it with the regular flour (if you can handle the gluten).  This, along with stirring them gently and spooning  blobs onto the pan without compacting them, will result in light and delicious falafel.  I served it with a simple tzatziki and a Greek chopped salad for a light winter meal.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis