Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia


I've heard of using chia seeds as a vegan substitute for eggs and Sarah added it to couscous for a round of Feeding Friendship, but this recipe from SkinnyTaste was the first time I had seen it used in a pudding and I was intrigued.  Chia is known as a "super-food" and is touted as a source of protein, calcium, iron, potassium, and anti-oxidants.  Take the health claims as you will, but trust me when I tell you that they make a surprisingly tasty pudding.

When chia seeds are soaked overnight, they develop a coating of gel, much like a tomato seed.  I know that doesn't sound very appetizing, but it actually reminds me a lot of tapioca pudding (which I hated for it's texture as a child, mostly because my dad liked to refer to it as "fish eyes").  This version is lightly sweet and a nice summer dessert, especially if you are entertaining vegans as this recipe calls for almond milk and coconut milk in place of dairy.  I found it a bit bland so I amped up the flavor a bit by adding some almond extract, but some cinnamon or perhaps cardamom (a nod to kheer) would be tasty too.  The chia seeds are virtually flavorless, so the potential combinations are unlimited!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis