Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Indian Grilled Chicken and Okra


Grilling season starts early in South Texas (or perhaps it would be more accurate to say grilling season never stops).  Heating up the oven or even the gas burners on the stove really heats up the entire house, so with temperatures in the upper 80s, it was time to start cooking al fresco.  I love the flavor of yogurt marinaded chicken, so we tried this recipe which yielded extremely juicy legs with nice crispy skin.  The spice flavor isn't very prominent, but I topped it with a quick mint and cilantro chutney I mixed up.


I love the flavor of vegetables charred on the grill, not to mention keeping the kitchen cool and a pan clean.  I had seen a recipe featuring grilled, skewered okra last summer but never had a chance to try it.  As luck would have it, there was some fresh at the market so I sent Geoff out to grill it while basting with a spiced butter.  The only part of the meal that I cooked inside was kheer for desert.  The cold ending to this meal was perfect and completely addictive.


Cilantro-Mint Chutney
Makes about 1 cup


1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch mint
juice of 1 lime
1 clove garlic
2 inches ginger
1-2 tbsp. pickled jalepenos
salt

Blend until smooth with just enough water to keep things moving.


Grilled Okra with Indian Spices
Makes 1 lb


1 lb fresh okra
3 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. corriander
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper, to taste

1. Thread okra onto two bamboo skewers, for stability.
2. Mix butter and all spices.
3. Grill 3-5 minutes on each side, basting with spice mixture.


1 comment:

  1. I love grilled okra! I've done a post about it every summer and I still can't get people interested in it! It is fantastic. I never thought to put them on Bamboo skewers though. genius! - Meredith from InSockMonkeySlippers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis