Monday, September 26, 2011

Okonomiyaki


Okonomiyaki is a dish I've tried before with mediocre results.  Previous versions have been heavy with lots of moisture-laden vegetables and a thick batter that resulted in dense pancake.  This version from Midge at Food 52 won the "Best Street Food" competition and  I couldn't agree more.  You could certainly add some more veggies - pretty much whatever is in your fridge.  We had it straight up with just cabbage and green onion, a lot more like a potato latke than a zucchini fritter.  The best part was the Sriracha mayo that I made with homemade mayo because I had some leftover egg yolks floating around my fridge.  Even if you think you don't like cabbage, give this a try.  It stays a bit crunchy in the middle while the cabbage on the edges become tender and sweet.  Not to mention, it takes about 20 minutes from fridge to table.

1 comment:

  1. Never heard of okonomiyaki before, but this sounds like something I would love. We will be trying this one, gotta love quick dishes! Thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis