Thursday, April 19, 2012

Chicken and 28 Cloves

Happy Garlic Day, Everyone!


Oh, you didn't know it was Garlic Day?  Well, you really missed out, then.  Dessert is pretty much the only thing I don't put garlic in, so I'm a bit surprised that I have never made Chicken and 40 Cloves.  There are a lot of recipes for Chicken and 40 Cloves out there, but I decided to go with chicken-guru Ina Garten's.  I used 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of the whole chicken and scaled the rest of the ingredients down by a 1/3.  This is what two heads worth of garlic looks like:


I cooked the garlic really slowly in the butter-olive oil-chicken fat mixture to get a deep, sweet garlic flavor in the end sauce.  It takes a while, but it was so worth it.  At this point, I seriously considered smearing the cloves on crusty bread and calling it a meal.  But I held strong, believing the white wine and slightest touch of  cream could only make things better.  I added an extra cup of chicken stock and I was glad to have the extra sauce soaking into the couscous.  After simmering the chicken, I pureed the sauce to maximize the garlic flavor in each bite.  I know, 28 cloves of garlic seems like an overwhelming amount, but the result is a mild, delicious sauce.  If you are looking for a way to mix up your chicken, this is a great way to go.  You won't even need a breath mint afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis