Wednesday, June 29, 2011

In a (Triple Dill - Double Garlic) Pickle


I was thrilled to find an abundance of cute little pickling cucumbers at the farmer's market a few weeks ago because I had been waiting for several month to make this recipe from Coconut & Lime.  Dill and garlic are two of my favorite flavors so adding dill seed, dried dill weed and fresh dill to the brine sounded like great pickles to me!


I played with the amounts of herbs a little bit and added 1 tbsp. of dill seed, 1 tsp. of dried dill, and 1/2 tsp. of ground mustard (I didn't have mustard seeds) to each pint jar.


I also doubled up the garlic and crushed it lightly to let more of that great garlic flavor into the pickles.  Dropped in bay leaf and then I was ready to load up the cucumbers.


I filled about three pint jars in this batch, but I wish I had bought more cucumbers! After topping with the fresh dill, I poured on the boiling vinegar (the kitchen didn't smell great at that point!).


Ten minutes of hot water bath processing and then a few days of waiting before they were ready.  The resulting pickles are surprisingly crisp considering they were boiled for 10 minutes.  The dill flavor is assertive but not over-powering and the garlic is surprisingly subtle.  There is a sweet flavor that comes out despite the absence of sugar in the recipe.  Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome and these were by far the easiest produce to can yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis