Sunday, June 26, 2011

Rainbow of Popsicles

When the weather gets hot (so pretty much all the time in Texas), I love popsicles.  We usually keep a box of Edy's All Fruit in the freezer, but occasionally I get in the mood to try something more exotic and a little more grown-up.  Here are few recipes I've tried recently using ingredients I had on hand.  Each makes 4 popsicles in my molds, which each hold about 1/4 cup.


Cantaloupe Pop

1 cup of cantaloupe puree

Clean and simple, it just tastes like cantaloupe.  The texture of these is a lot more solid than the watermelon pops I've made in the past.  There are all sorts of things you could do to jazz these up.  A little ginger would be good, mint and or lime would be nice too.


Key LimeYogurt with Fresh Blueberries Pop

1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 key lime juice
1/2 cup blueberries
3-4 tbsp. sugar

The tartness of the yogurt and lime juice demand the sweetness of the sugar and the blueberries.  I filled the molds with blueberries and then poured in the liquid ingredients.  I had leftover key limes from a pie I made, but I bet the frozen custard from the key lime pie would make a pretty amazing popsicle too.



Pineapple Pops with Toasted Coconut

1 cup pineapple
1/2 cup peaches
1/3 cup milk
3 tbsp coconut, toasted

Blend the pineapple, peaches, and milk and freeze the popsicles. I used peaches and pineapple because that is what I had on hand for making smoothies, but you could use anything. When ready to eat, toast the coconut and sprinkle on the the popsicle while still hot.  I suppose you could mix the coconut into the pop, but the texture of the toasted coconut really gilds the lily.


Iced Mocha Pops

1/2 cup leftover, strong coffee
1/2 cup milk
2 heaping tbsp Mexican hot chocolate powder

I made it with just leftover morning coffee but if you had espresso, that would be great.  I also think a Thai Iced Coffee pop with sweetened condensed milk would be amazing.



I hope those keep you nice and cool for a bit. I have another idea I'm working the kinks out of and will post soon.  It might be the last popsicle I ever need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis