Thursday, January 19, 2012

Gung Bao Chicken


When I came across this recipe for Gung Bao Chicken at Leite's Culinaria, I got really excited.  I love Kung Pao chicken, but the restaurant version tends to be too heavy with gelatinous sauce and not hot enough.  Ick.  This recipe, however, is awesome.  It comes together quickly and is (relatively) light.

The heat in this recipe comes from a combination of hot peppers and Szechuan peppercorns and it is completely worth tracking down the Szechuan peppercorns.  I was surprised to find them very cheaply at my (slightly bourgeois) grocery store.  The heat that comes from the peppercorns isn't an upfront heat like you get from most chili peppers nor the nasal-clearing hit of wasabi, but just hangs around on the soft palette.  I can't explain it, but you really should try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis