Monday, January 30, 2012

Happy (Chinese) New Year!


Chinese Lunar New Year was celebrated last Monday so I decided to have a few friends over this weekend to make siu mai, one of my favorite types of dim sum (along with sweet bean paste rolls).  For the siu mai, I used this recipe from Philadelphia chef Joseph Poon.


The siu mai filling is roughly equal amounts of ground pork and finely chopped shrimp with scallions and reconstituted shitake mushrooms.  I also added a bit of shredded carrots to make it pretty. I considered making my own wonton wrappers, but I'm just not that much of a glutton for punishment.  (I know, everyone has a line somewhere, mine is just a bit farther out than others.)


Once the filling was combined, I enlisted some assistance in stuffing the dumplings.  Four sets of hands made the work go quickly and I really enjoy the act of cooking with friends.


While the dumplings steamed, I made a quick dip from soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil.   In addition to the siu mai, I made some vegetarian longevity noodles (a traditional New Year dish) as well as some (certainly not traditional) Hoisin-glazed chicken wings.


All of the dishes came together relatively quickly and were really tasty.  Several people said it was the best home-made Chinese food they had every had and better than a lot of take-out too.  Quite a compliment!


Truly great guests both help make their own dinner and then wash the dishes - with ridiculous amounts of enthusiasm.  Special thanks to Clarissa for taking pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis