Sunday, March 11, 2012

Badal Jaam-ing


One of my favorite things about cooking is when simple ingredients combine to become something infinitely more than the sum of their parts.  I came across this easy recipe for Kashmiri eggplant cooked in tomato sauce and thought it would be good, but the result was super silky eggplant in a very spicy sauce with the cooling yogurt and mint to keep it in check.  It was far better than I hoped.

I followed the recipe from weird combinations except that I baked the eggplant slices at 400 for about 30 minutes instead of frying them.  To add some protein and cabs to the meal, I sauteed a tablespoon of mustard seeds, 1/2 cup of basmati rice and 1/2 cup urad gota.  I cooked it with about three cups of water until tender to make a sort of pilaf with a lot of texture.  With the roasting and finishing, the dish takes a bit of time, but it simple, healthy, and filling.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis