Monday, March 26, 2012

Mole Part 2: Mole Verde


I know that I have already made mole for the blog, but a few months ago we went to Guajillo's restaurant here in town and I had an AMAZING version of mole verde that I just had to try and recreate at home.  Mole verde is anchored by tomatillos and pepitas (pumpkin seeds) along with cilantro and green chiles. Oh and lettuce, you cook lettuce into it.  The flavor is fresh and light, exactly the opposite of the dark and rich mole oaxaqueno and a perfect springtime dish.


You can get fresh tomatillos in the summer, they look a bit like green tomatoes in a husk. Canned tomatillos will work just fine the rest of the year, or when you can't be bothered to husk the sticky tomatillos.  By the way, tomatillos are NOT green tomatoes (no matter what the can or guy stocking the shelves who had to help me find them says).  Anyway, I used a recipe from Rick Bayless' Authentic Mexican, which my brother gave me for Christmas last year and I am loving the regional focus and simple treatment of ingredients.  The recipe is quite similar to this one, but there seem to be a thousand slight variations.  The recipe made a ton of of leftovers and it freezes and reheats very well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis