Saturday, March 24, 2012

Rogan Josh Chicken


I had never heard of Rogan Josh spice blends until I stumbled across it at Penzey's.  It smelled so good that I brought it home without much plan for what to do with it.  It has an intensely rich flavor with a subtle heat that would be great for those who enjoy the taste of Indian food but have no tolerance for heat.  (tangent - I'm not sure about this, but I think that northern Indian food tends to be milder and this is a spice blend from that region.)  Based on the label, it is a combination of paprika, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, black pepper, cayenne pepper, Korintje cassia cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and saffron.

I had planned to use this spice blend on goat, but I slept through the farmer's market so I substituted four chicken thighs.  After browning the chicken in a bit of oil, I sauteed an onion before adding 4 tablespoons of spice mix.  As soon as the spices smelled fragrant, I added 28 oz of crushed, roasted tomatoes (I wanted lots of sauce), 1/2 cup of yogurt, and a pinch more cayenne pepper.  I returned the chicken to the pan and let it simmer for about 20 minutes while I turned my attention to the roasted brussels sprouts.  I don't know that brussels sprouts are a particularly Indian vegetable, but I love them and they are going out of season,.  I just heated about a tablespoon of oil in a very hot cast iron skillet then tossed in some black mustard seeds and then seared the quartered brussels sprouts.

All that sauce from the chicken was soaked up with a variation on this naan with 1/3 whole what flour.  Instead of eggs and milk, I substituted a heaping 1/4 cup of yogurt and mixed in both minced fresh garlic and  cilantro.  I suppose I didn't really make that naan at all, did I?  Oh well, it was good and got nice and toasty baked on the pizza stone in a 500 degree oven.  Make lots.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis