Monday, March 19, 2012

Family Fun

Last weekend, my family came down for a visit.  The last time they were here was August, so it was great to have them here when the weather was nicer.  We had planned several outdoor excursions including a trip north of San Antonio into the Texas Hill Country.


Unfortunately, it was intermittently foggy and rainy so the drive was not as pretty as it might otherwise be.  But we braved the weather to have a delicious lunch at High's Cafe in Comfort before poking around The Tinsmith's Wife where I picked up some fantastically soft yarn spun in Austin.  Our final stop was one of the 32 wineries in the Hill Country where we tasted some local wines and stumbled across their annual music festival.  I'm looking forward to getting to several more of those wineries!


The next day was sunny and warm, perfect for visiting the Japanese Tea Garden in Brackenridge Park.  The tea garden was first built in 1919, had it's name changed to "Chinese" Tea Garden during World War II, and eventually fell into disrepair.  The city has invested half a million dollars into renovating it and it really is even better than I expected.  And best of all, it's free!


After the Japanese Tea Garden, we checked out the Andy Warhol exhibit at the McNay Museum.  On Monday, I took the day off work and we visited San Marcos to see the glass bottom boats at the Aquarena Center.   

I was probably the most excited of anyone to go on the tour because eight years ago my family came down to San Antonio with me while I was doing some work.  They went to see the glass-bottom boats while I did some genotyping.  I'm still holding a grudge.


I loved the tour.  The water is unbelievably clear because it is fed directly from the aquifer and you can see all sorts of fish and weird brush-looking plants and where the water springs up through the bottom.  It looks like the limestone sand is boiling.  Next time I want to try the glass-bottom kayaks!


Sitting in a boat can really work up an appetite so we headed to Black's BBQ in Lockhart - one of the best BBQ joints in Texas.  I am still regretting not bringing home the frozen brisket by the pound.  You should not be that foolish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis